lauantai 9. marraskuuta 2013

Day 348: Shooting the messenger


08-09112013



A few days ago I faced a situation where criticism and blame was directed towards me. I realized that the person criticizing me (and others) was reacting to her interpretation of the situation, and so I didn't take it personally. I kept myself in breath and let her express her frustration. The situation ended with her dismissing her own reaction by saying “this is just who I am, I can't help it” and that she realizes that there is nothing actually wrong with the situation at hand.

Because of her own attitude it would be easy for me to just say “yup, that's how it is” - to pass all the responsibility for another's reaction onto the other and dismiss whatever was going on. But I know that a part of what she is picking up from me and reacting to is actually there, although very slightly and well-hidden. What I found here is a pattern where “I don't have to listen” if the one delivering the message is reacting emotionally – when in fact the message might be true even though it's being delivered from an unclear starting point.


I did a lot of specific self-forgiveness on this, but because it includes other people and I couldn't really "mask" it into a neutral form, I am going to not publish some of it. However, I will share some of the key points.

--

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that in order for me to participate in an activity there would have to be a goal and that if there isn't a goal I don't “have to” participate – not realizing that the goals are created within and through the activity itself during those times when there isn't a specific goal, and that me joining in only when there is a specific goal is to pass the responsibility for creating a goal completely onto the others.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel guilty for not participating in the goal creation, not realizing that I have simply made a choice to channel my attention onto things that are more certain to have a concrete outcome.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel frustrated with a hobby that is “going nowhere”, not realizing that I have not really contributed to “taking it somewhere”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to waste my time by participating in an activity “half-heartedly” - riding along but not contributing to creation and direction – not realizing that I would be better off either doing it with a full participation or not doing it at all and rather focusing on something else.

--

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that in order to arrange my life I need to make choices, and that sometimes those choices exclude one thing and include another.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel guilty for choosing to not focus on [activity], not realizing that I have made this choice based on what I find relevant in life at the moment – a pretty solid decision - and that I am wavering from my decision through guilt because I fear that I will be judged for my decision by those who have chosen differently.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear standing up for what I find essential in life as I have feared that others would take my stance personally and believe it to be judgement.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to judge those who have prioritized their lives differently than I have mine, not realizing that people's life situations are very different, and that prioritizing [activity] might serve a relevant purpose in someone else's life (releasing energy, meeting friends, taking a break, getting exercise etc).

--

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to use the starting point of another as an excuse to not listen to what the person is saying.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that a message from an unclear starting point – a dusty mirror – is just as much HERE than the same message from a clear starting point – a clean mirror – and that despite the source of the message I am able to “decode” it and thus reflect myself back to myself from others.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself, when and as a person reacts to me, to focus on their reaction – their “flaws” - instead of asking myself what it is they're picking up in me and reacting to.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to perceive others to be “flawed” to cover up for my own misgivings.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that the misgiving of another means that I have none.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to measure a situation based on each one's misgivings or “flaws” and to then dub each one as a “winner” or a “loser” (high or low status) based on the amount or severeness of one's flaws, not realizing that this “role play” directly affects my behavior and consequently the behavior of others.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to focus on the misgivings of another to move the focus away from my own misgivings, making the “flaws” of the other appear bigger than they are and making mine appear smaller than they are, not realizing that this is just a momentary illusion and that both of our “flaws” are in fact one and equal.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that life is a competition where, in order for me to not “lose”, somebody else has got to.



I commit myself to make a decision concerning my participation in this activity by the end of the year based on what contributing to this activity creates and upholds in this reality on the small as well as on the big scale: how it affects my life, how it affects the group members' lives, how it affects the group community, how it affects the town/area and how it affects the world – and at what expense.

--

When and as another unmistakably reacts to me, be it a positive or a negative reaction, I commit myself to listen to what they're trying to express while also aware of their reactive state, asking myself “what is he/she reacting to” and searching myself for the trigger – NOT so that I would carry all the responsibility and blame myself for the reaction of another, but so that the responsibility for something equally created would be equally shared.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti