maanantai 1. heinäkuuta 2013

Day 267: Racism - the joke is on me


30062013



I am right now in a situation I knew to be coming but which I did not really know how to prepare myself for: I am an ethnic minority in my current environment, and the locals aren't shy to express their curiosity about it. Today as I was walking in town I experienced it in a very negative way (and from what I've heard, it is often intended to be so), but the thing is, I cannot really know what another person thinks or expects, so all I can do is to make sure I approach people with the best intentions. I realize that I walk here as an ambassador of “the white man” and that is why I have treated everyone with friendliness, just to make sure that I get something right – but I realize that I am driven by fear, because in-between every encounter with the locals I just found myself exhausted and conflicted. A friend of mine has lived here for about 18 months and according to her experience there is a common misconception about “the white men” that they're all rich and selfish, and that knowledge affects how I position myself towards the locals. I do not know whether it is the actual spiteful experience of the people that I sense or whether I'm just making this up.

So in order to be able to approach people as myself and without fear I'm going to have to face my fears. Why am I terrified?



I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear that people will want to exploit me, harm me, abuse me and rob me because of a misconception and a stereotype that I fall into because of my ethnicity.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that there is no way for me to influence this false image that others might have of me, not realizing that I am in fact able to do so through my own behavior and application, at least to a certain extent.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel obligated to stand as an example to correct the misconception of the people here, thus constantly stressing about whether I'm “succeeding” or “failing” in my interactions with others, fearful that others may have judged me to be a stereotypical “white man” and that I have failed to educate them – not realizing that it is not my responsibility ALONE to correct the misconception of an entire nation of an entire ethnic group, but the responsibility of ALL “white men” and/or people in general.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that even if I'd do my ultimate best to convince people that their beliefs are misconceptions, people might still not be convinced because they make up their own minds and I cannot do that for them – and that thus all that I can do is do my best, no more, no less.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to stress about presenting a good image of myself to convince people that their beliefs are misunderstandings, not realizing that by trying to appear as something I am not here as myself and thus live out dishonesty, and that I am thus sabotaging my own attempts to create relations based on truthfulness.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that living as myself is not enough.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that living as myself is not enough to convince others that their assumptions are incorrect, and that I need to present an extra-good image in order to make up for the misgivings of others.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel responsible for the misgivings of others.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to try and make up an entire human history of abuse and slavery by pushing myself to be the best possible presentation of a person, not realizing that this is both too much and too little – too much in the sense that I am trying to make myself carry more responsibility than I can bear, and too little in the sense that simple acts of kindness will not actually fix the problems left by abuse (here: colonialism and war).

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that even though acts of simple kindness (i.e. smiling, greeting, having a conversation) will not suffice for actually helping these people, they are all that I can give right now before I am ready to contribute in a way that will address the bigger issues.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to expect every local person to measure me against a stereotype and thus live as the fear of failure within every interaction, not realizing that my “success/failure” with this challenge is not measured by how many people I manage to “convert” but by who I am and become within it.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to react to seeing a local person with fear through a scenario of possible failure, not seeing a person in front of me but only a measure of my worth – not realizing that this act of complete ignorance of the person here with me is the exact kind of selfishness I wish to not represent.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that by expecting and believing everyone to think of me a certain way I support the whole mind pattern of racism – I live as what I fear from others.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear the malicious thoughts of others because believing the thought might lead to malicious actions, not realizing that in-between the thought, the permission and the action is space in which I am able to influence the outcome of the situation.



I commit myself to live as who I am – not as a presentation of who I believe I should be.

I commit myself to trust that as long as I am clear on my principles I do not have to put on an appearance to show others the best I can be.

I commit myself to focus on breathing and self-honesty when and as I interact with the locals, aware of any and all stress points in thought processes as well as in the physical body as tension and pain.

I commit myself to no longer justify the existence of the spiteful “white man” stereotype by giving it my permission to exist by apologetically recognizing it in the behavior of others – and I commit myself to investigate my own feelings of spite towards what the human kind has done.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti